Sunday, April 19, 2009

One man's trash...

Wow! It has been almost a month since my last post. To say I have been busy would be an understatement! Still working two jobs = busy, buying a new house and starting the remodel = busy, add the two together = Uber-busy!!! If you want to check out the house, go to wifey's blog: http://www.stitchriprepeat.blogspot.com/
I won't lie, I love my in-laws, but it is time to get out! Not to mention I am going to have my own studio and a theater room!!! Plus it will be cool to have a house that we can call our own, and hang up some of our art work. Oh and did I forget to mention the deck?!? Enough about that on to the important stuff.
So a couple weekends ago I went and hung out with a buddy here and he posed an interesting question... "Jason would you like some comics?"... um can ninja's punch through peoples faces with one kung- fu punch?!?!?!?? HELL'S YEAH!!! So long story short I cam home with a box and a half of comics. Now these aren't prize comics by any means but they have 2 advantages. 1. they were free. 2. they are comics. Below you till find some of the treasures...

There were A LOT of The Punisher, various 2099, and other various marvel titles that I have not heard of or would never pick up... but once again free + comics!

Here are some of the finer points. I am not much of a DC man, but in the pile was a Green Lantern from the 60's. Anyone who is anyone knows that now most money makers are from the 60's - 70's era. However here is a rule that I have learned, had knowledge of, and seem to of forgotten in a matter of minutes. NEVER USE SCOTCH TAPE TO TAPE THE PLASTIC DOWN ON YOUR BOARDS. I wanted to look at that GL and see what kind of condition it was in... well the damn tape got caught on the cover and ripped off some of the page!!! BLURG!!! On Ebay it is going fro around 40 - 50 dollars. DAMN IT!! Moving on...

Here are some of the real GEMS! Kid-n- Play! The A-Team, and a William Shatner comic... I don't know about you, but I am pretty sure with the release of the new star trek movie, that is going to jump the price up on the market fo' sho!


This picture here was from some TMNT comic I found in the pile. Here is my beef. I know I am not the best artist out there, but look at this! Maybe I am looking at it wrong, but the jaguar dude has a crazy eye!!! What the piss?? This comic was full of bad art, the turtles have some weird skin texture that make them look like they are fifty! No to mention the bad angles and unproportianate anatomy. But hey what can I say... dude got published fro marvel... doing one of the biggest franchises from the 80's. Two thumbs up ya lucky bastard!

All said and done, I love comics, I was pleased to take these off my buddies hands and will gladly do it again! Plus there are some amazing covers on some of the issues. I am really thinking of somehow rigging the walls of the new house so that I can display them (almost like wall paper without destroying the comic). Who knows. So moving on...

Here are some sketches I did one day when I had a moment. I, for some reason, am obsessed with octopi right now. I think it is just something easy to draw while I am at work and it has transferred over into my personal life. There is so much freedom and spontaneity you can do with a squid like creature.

So with these sketches I have actually started on a painting. See below...


Close up of the actually subject.


If you can't tell the picture is of a dude with a octopus on his head. Yeah it doesn't make sense... but I don't care. I like it. You don't... well poop on your face. What really sucks is I painted that like 2 weeks ago. Haven't made much progress as you can see. Man being a grown-up sucks!

Until next time... Cherrio!!

2 comments:

  1. Can't go wrong with free comics! I'm sure there are a few gems in there. Nice sketches, I hope we'll see that painting all finished up one day. Thanks for stopping by my blog and checkin' out the sketch challenge, can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Tom, nothing wrong with free comics. Your painting looks cool, can't wait to see the finished piece. I can't paint for a crap, so I'm really impressed with people that can. Glad to see you back on line. Good luck with the house.

    ReplyDelete