Saturday, April 25, 2009

Gruncher!!!

So the other day Tom ( fellow Blogger) issued a challenge, by say the name The Gruncher and then leaving it up to anyone who felt creative to come up with idea of what that "being" would look like. I LOVED THIS IDEA. This is one of the reason I wanted to start a blog. I wanted to find creative people and see how differently they did things, bounce ideas around, and enjoy each others skills. So go to Tom's blog if you want to see his ideas : http://traversart.blogspot.com/
Now on to some sketches...

When I first saw the name I thought of a rock. Don't really know why, but that was just the first thing that came to mind. So the first skecth is a rock-golem type creature.

I did this sketch at work while I was on the phone with AT&T, really loose, but you get the point. The Gruncher- living rock. As this idea mulled around more in my head I tried to do a more polished version thus the second drawing:

Once again, drawn at work. I really like how this one came out. He went more from a rock creature to just a creature. This reminds me a lot of Grendel from Beowulf. Gruncher, may not be as cool of a name as Grendel, but it works. On a side note. Doing these drawings at work reminded me how much I LOVE drawing on lined paper. Can't really explain why, it just feels good.
Anyway I love this second drawing and am really proud of it. I may come back to this rendition later when I have more time to flesh it out. On to my third. As I sat there at work I wanted a completly different idea from " the Gruncher" creature idea and I came up with this:


Not "THE" Gruncher, but Grohaum Gruncher, son of Glorad Gruncher. Conqueror of the nine lands, Destroyer of the 4 Gods, and Heir to the Kingdom of Groland. I love Barabarins. Had to throw one in somewhere, plus it has been a while since I drew one!

I have decided I may have to get a scanner soon. Right now I just have to take a picture of my art and then adjust it with those fancy picture programs... helps to have an emmy award winner graphic designer for a wife :)

Cherrio!

2 comments:

  1. Jason, these are freakin' sweet!! I love all of your versions but I am partial to the second rendition. You nailed a great hulking monster pose. I love reading your thought process too, that's what this challenge was all about! We have to do another challenge soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason these are awesome. Best stuff yet. I with TOm I like the pose of the second one, kind of learched over and creepy. But the third is my favorite, really freakin cool. I'm with you on the lined paper, I do half my rough sketches on it while I'm at work. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete