Friday, February 13, 2009

Squid!!!!


So I was cleaning around my "studio" area and found these works. I like to look through my sketches and random pieces of art every now and then to see if there is some inspiration hiding somewhere. I am looking to do some art today, and started to straighten things up and found these. This was actually what inspired the painting " I think I am turning Japanese" that I did for my mother-in-law. I love the organic feel of a good tentacle.
There is something creepy, yet fun about drawing one. I think it is the feeling of movement you can convey with a tentacle. When I draw them I find myself in almost a trance swaying this way and that, trying to imagine what it would be like to be the tentacle. Very freeing.
On the creepy side I try and imagine the thing that it is attached to and what it would be like to have the slimy, sucker covered grasp pulling you down into a bottomless void.
On the above doodles, I personally enjoy the top (sketch) more then the colored version. I find that in most of my art I like the raw sketch look better then a more refined product.
I think I may do some more work with tentacles...
Enjoy

1 comment:

  1. Jason, checked out your blog good stuff. I'm like you, a life long doodler that can't get enough time with a pencil and a piece of paper. I'm pretty much self taught and trying to get my first project off the ground. Good luck to you, I'll keep checking out your blog.

    ReplyDelete